No, Super Skivvies cloth training pants aren’t made with some futuristic material found in a galaxy far far away. However, SuperSkivvies are made with the safest, finest, and most eco-freindly materials found here on the beautiful planet Earth. Disposable and waterproof PUL (polyurethane laminate) training pants are very harmful to our eco-system and actually lengthen the time it takes to fully potty train. The materials that you decide to use have a huge effect on the overall effectiveness of a cloth training pant. Much research has gone into Super Skivvies cloth training pants and below you will find a breakdown of Super Skivvies’ components and the reasons for using the materials we do.
- Body - We only use medium weight 100% cotton interlock fabrics for Super Skivvies bodies. Not only is cotton sustainable and absorbent, but it does not hold odor from urine and feces the way that polyester and other man made fibers do. It also makes for a more soft and comfortable training pant for your potty learner. Even though it is cheaper, we do not use jersey because it is a thinner fabric with little to no stretch and is not even half as durable as interlock or rib knit. This means you get to use Super Skivvies for much longer than other cloth or disposable trainers and can be passed down or resold to siblings or friends.
- Waist & Thigh Bands - We only use medium weight 100% cotton interlock because even when stretched to its max, it will retract to its original dimensions. The elasticity of 100% cotton interlock makes the waist and thigh bands stretchy which ensures a comfortable and snug fit around these parts of the body. More importantly, having a snug fit also discourages any leaks.
- Liner - We feature a 70% rayon (from bamboo), 28% organic cotton, and 2% polyester (for durability which does not affect the before mentioned odor problem) velour liner. This specially designed liner allows Super Skivvies cloth training pants to become convertible with an absorbent removable insert. This liner does wick some moisture away from delicate skin, but not so much that your child is unaware of the wetness, all the while, still helping to keep puddles off of your floor.
- Insert - Our removable insert is what makes Super Skivvies cloth training pants convertible and thus so special. It is made of 3 layers of 70% bamboo and 30% organic cotton fleece. Bamboo fibers are 300% MORE ABSORBENT than cotton and become more absorbent with each washing. This means you will need less layers to absorb more liquid. Because there are less layers, Super Skivvies are much trimmer than a cloth or disposable diaper. Your child will feel what real under pants are supposed to feel like rather than continuing to use them as if they were diapers. This helps your potty learner make the transition easier by recognizing that being wet is yucky.
- We also use Bamboo fabrics because: - Bamboo is a rapidly produced crop grown without the use of pesticides or fertilizers - It is produced in a “closed loop system” that re-circulates and captures agents used to convert the plant into fiber - Bamboo is also biodegradable, anti-microbial, breathable, moisture-wicking, hypo-allergenic, and anti-static
- Elastic - Super Skivvies uses 1″ no roll elastic in the waistband. This makes it easy for little hands to pull their Super Skivvies up and down as needed without help from Mom or Dad. Letting your potty learner become as involved in the process as possible goes a long way for building confidence and independence in the potty training process.
- Labels - All of Super Skivvies required labels (size and logo/care) are sewn onto non irritating places. One satin size label is sewn onto the underside of the removable insert. Another woven size label is sewn on top of the woven logo/care label which is then sewn to the outer back of the waistband. We have taken into account every possible situation to ensure that your potty learner is as comfortable in their Super Skivvies as the fabric we use.
- Thread - What holds together all the Super Skivvies pieces? Take a Wooly Mammoth subtract the mammoth, add nylon thread, and you have wooly nylon thread. This kind of thread is much softer to the touch than ordinary polyester thread and protects a child’s sensitive skin against irritating serger burn.
For more information on the benefits of using Super Skivvies you can read our August 31, 2011 blog post “The Top 5 Reasons Why Super Skivvies Cloth Training Pants Are The Best”.
If you would like more information on potty training you can read “Is Your Toddler Ready For Potty Training?” and “5 Tips For Potty Training Your Child”.